Thursday, March 06, 2008

Fat, mad as hell, and not going to take it any more

Wow, I didn't know I had multiple mental illnesses. In addition to my bipolar/depressive disorder, apparently my obesity is a mental illness, to some.

To clarify, I am considered obese. At least, I think I am. I lost a few pounds so I might just be moderately overweight today. Let me go check my BMI...At 5' 8" and 203.4 lbs...30.9 - yes, I am obese today! Hooray. By 1 point. Which for me would equal 6.8 lbs. So if I ever get tired of being obese, I can just lose 6.8 lbs. AWESOME. And then I wouldn't be part of the [you know what, I'm not even going to say it - it's now Voldemort to me] anymore.

Apparently if I lost 6.8 lbs I would also cease to have the mental illness of obesity too.

All I can say to this specious reasoning is: what. the. fuck.

Fat is not a disease. Fat tissue has important jobs in the body, it is not poisonous. Some fat people have diseases. Some diseases are exacerbated by fat, some fat is exacerbated by disease. Fat is not contagious and it's not epidemic. Stop hating on fat people. Stop using us as political pawns. And stay the hell away from my children, who are healthy, growing boys.

I am sick of fat people being the butt of jokes on otherwise rational television shows (I'm looking at you BONES - stop it). I'm sick of people saying to me, "but look at all the people around" to justify the misuse of the word EPIDEMIC. I'm sick of so much time and energy being poured into shaming and mocking people under the pretense of helping them (I'm REALLY looking at YOU "America's Biggest Loser").

Anyhow, I've run out of steam (and no, it's not because I'm fat, it's because this subject both breaks my heart and makes me furious). But the fat hate has got to stop.

No comments: