Monday, June 02, 2008

Blogging for LGBT Families Day



I found out about Blogging for LGBT Families Day via Pam's House Blend, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to mark the day.

My personal experience with LGBT families is pretty varied. One of my best friend's during middle school lived with her mom and her mom's female partner, and while it was different, it was never more an issue than any other family circumstance. I love that I grew up that way, and I hope I am raising/have raised my sons to be aware of the differences in families, and simply see them as such.

Currently, my youngest's best friend has two moms, and just yesterday we stopped by the PFLAG table and the Farmer's Market and picked up rainbow flag pins. He had the choice of a sticker or something else, but he wanted to wear the pin. I asked him if he knew what it meant, and he didn't, so we talked about it, and he thought it was a great idea, showing our solidarity with our gay friends.

Because of how I grew up, I am sometimes hesitant to make big overtures of solidarity. I remember feeling uncomfortable when people made them toward me as a POC, but I get that this is different. I'm not falling all over myself to prove a point, I'm just signaling that I am an ally.

Anyhow, I have to say that I am really most disappointed that the referendum to "ban gay marriage" (which was not what it was called but what it effectively does) passed in Wisconsin. It was very sad and frustrating. And that disappointment has to do with two things: bigotry and a lack of fairness.

I hate that people are so quick to work to stop other people from sharing in the benefits of marriage. It also angers me that my friends have to have multiple legal documents to be secure (in case of medical emergency, etc.) and are forced to "legitimize" their family in a way that I have never had to do.

I think there should be equity in rights afforded to people through marriage, whether or not that means disabling the currently held rights of the already married (WILL NEVER HAPPEN) or abling those not currently eligible to marry to also have those rights (much more positive and hopefully a likely step).

I'm not very eloquent on this subject, it is difficult to talk about without resorting to just asking what the hell is wrong with society.

No comments: