Thursday, February 14, 2008

love is all around, no need to waste it

So I have been reading all of these things by people who call valentine's day a sham, and I'm sick of it. Yes, it's a sham, but it's a sham where you get to make people cupcakes or a card out of construction paper (or if you are sick as a dog like I am this week, buy them cards).

And it's a sham where I get to buy my kid and I some lovely pink tiger lillies and pale sherbert orange roses at the grocery store, and the whole shopping trip turns into foods which match in colour (except the black beans and the milk, those were the odd ones out).

And it's a sham where I get to feel silly and happy and remember how much I enjoyed it as a kid. Yes, it's overhyped. Hell, nothing isn't lately. I remember walking down the aisles at Shopko a few days before Christmas and they were putting out the VALENTINE'S candy. And today, as I walked to the checkout line at-packed-to-the-gills Walgreens, I saw the Easter candy. So, yes, all the ads, and the "YOU MUST CELEBRATE THIS" are annoying, but it's a far simpler day to ignore than the three months of Christmas, and it's simply a better day.

I'm tired of cynicism. I'm feeling very vulnerable and being sick on top of being snowbound for a week or so... I'm just spent. All I want to do is sleep all day (and since I've been up nearly all night, that is likely a good idea).

As far as Valentine's Day goes with me and my man, I told him I don't care about a present, but I want to be with him and have us both say "happy valentine's day", celebrate it by just being together. It's not a big deal, but it's a *deal*.

Happy Valentine's Day. Would you be mine?

No comments: