Friday, June 22, 2007

What makes a girl?

Okay, the post title has more ambition than what I came to post about, but as I was reviewing my Shrek the Third review, I remembered a poignant moment at the 7-year-old's dentist this week. As he was picking out his sticker, I noticed that under the roll of disney princess stickers was a small pile of Snow White stickers.

You know Snow White. the Black Haired princess. With a bob.

Yep, that's the one, the short and dark haired princess. Who is, apparently, not all that popular with the little girls.

And thinking about that reminded me of when I bartered at the childcare place at the YMCA, and a girl asked me if I were a girl or a boy. This was when I had a very "short natural" haircut. But at the time, I was wearing a skirt, had my nails painted, and if I recall correctly, had on a form-fitting t-shirt. In case you don't know, I'm a busty gal. To me it nearly defies explanation how someone could see me as I looked that day and "not be sure". Even a 4-year-old. But this kid, this apparently terribly sheltered kid couldn't recognize that I was female simply because I had short hair. That, I think, is indicative of how deeply fucked up society is 'round here.

So think about it, would you, and if you want to, tell me what makes a girl.

No comments: