Monday, April 02, 2007

Flan-tastic!

In Spanish class we just finished up a unit on food, and we are starting a unit on celebrations. Flan has come up about 1,000,000 times so far in class and in our study materials, and I just had to make some.

Here is a picture of my flan:

I couldn't find my ring (that's because it was in a box in the basement, I found it this weekend), so I made two small rectangular flan, which turned out quite lovely. The recipe I used was a great beginner recipe, although not as decadent as the flan I've had in the past. It came from the backside of the label from a tin of condensed milk.

Vanilla Flan

3/4 cup white sugar
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Have your oven-proof cooking dish ready. You will need a baking dish or roaster big enough to hold your dish or dishes, and some water heating in a pan or kettle.

In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat sugar until melted. Stir constantly. This should take no more than 4 minutes. Quickly coat the bottom and (and up the sides if you are quicker than I am) of your cooking dish(es) with the caramel. It is extremely hot and remains so for longer than you'd think, so be careful!

Mix together the remaining ingredients and blend well. Pour into the caramel coated dishes and place in larger baking dish/roaster and fill with water until flan containers are at least 1/2 submerged in water. Place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes.

Cool on wire rack and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving. Loosen custard by going round the rim of the container with a sharp knife and inverting it onto a serving plate.

I think Flan tastes best when it's been given a chance to approach room temperature.

No comments: