Monday, June 26, 2006

Why does he have to be such a perfect specimen?

CNN.com - 'Railroad Killer' faces execution
A Houston judge last week rejected claims by Resendiz's lawyers that mental delusions make him ineligible for execution. He's set to be the 13th inmate executed this year in Texas.


This is not the rarefied foodie post I'd hoped to trick myself into writing for this blog. No, instead it's a post about how I wish I were a better writer, because there is a D-Grade horror movie just waiting to be written about this man (his name is ANGEL, for bog's-sake. There are flashbacks to an insane/obsessively religious/violent grandmother that beg to be brought to life!):



"I don't believe in death," Resendiz, 46, told The Associated Press in 2000, shortly after arriving on death row. "I know the body is going to go to waste. But me, as a person, I'm eternal. I'm going to be alive forever."

Imagine it:
The night of his execution, the 13th man executed this year. Sure, that kind of superstition is for old ladies and crazy blind hobos (both of which we meet before opening credits roll), but when the spunky cub reporter from the local paper gets a chance to witness the execution, she's understandably a little spooked. After all, it's FRIDAY THE 13th and there's a terrible storm rolling in.


You get the picture.

No comments: