Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First Day Jitters

Last night the little one came into my room and said: "I'm depressed and I feel like I'm going to throw up." Understandable that he'd identify feelings of anxiety and worry over his first day in a new school and a new school district.

We had a nice talk about feelings and stuff, and he responded very well to that, which was really good. He especially liked when I said, "Your name is ______, and people want to be your friend." I hope he remembers that one.

I sent a hot lunch with him to school (our first attempt at using the new thermos) and spent the first 10 minutes in the classroom listening to the teacher introduce herself and third grade.

I love the way they say the state-mandated pledge of allegiance in this district: they tell you you don't have to say it, or stand. Which, btw, none of the kids did. I'd been standing with my hand over my heart up until the pledge started, when I quickly snatched it down. I'm not much for that pledge, especially with the god part in it. So I had a nice smile. This district is so much more ME than the last one.

Saw three people I knew and had fallen out of touch with in the past few years. That was cool. Still a pretty white school, but way more brown than the last one. I'd guess there are more brown kids in this combo elementary/middle school than there are in the entire district in Monona. Which wouldn't be difficult as far as I can tell.

I think I'll be missing my late class today because they let out of school 1/2 hour before the dang thing starts and I don't think we'll be able to negotiate that and get to class anywhere on time. But I shouldn't think it absolves me of doing my homework, should I?

Better get to it.

No comments: