Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Here's Why

The Anthropologist (it should be noted that reading her blog has caused me to begin referring to myself as "self", if only in my head) asked why I am taking algebra, and I thought everyone should know.

I'm taking algebra (high school algebra, really) because I have to take geometry and intermediate algebra, and when tested, I ended up there. You'll be happy to know that "algebra concepts" is not the very lowest rung in the math world. Indeed, it's at least 2 rungs up that ladder.

My current course and the geometry are requirements for entering the University of Wisconsin, and the intermediate algebra is a requirement for graduation.

I've taken high school level algebra at least 5 times, and I am just now kind of, a little bit, very slightly, beginning to understand a small part of it. Maths kill me.

In other school news, I got an A- on my paper and nearly cried. Did I mention that yet? Thank goodness I have therapy in two days.

I think I now officially have a 4.0 GPA (goes to check) (comes back, pouting). No, of course I don't. I have a 3.912 GPA, and before you say anything, it's not the same. But it's still wonderful. I'll have to tell you all about the format of my algebra course another time, it's interesting and I think I may actually retain some information! I'm hopefully optimistic about getting a B in this class. Only time shall tell.

While we are waiting for that to load, I'd like to mention that I've started reading 3 books simultaneously: ZZ Packer/"Drinking Coffee Elsewhere", Jim Crace/"Being Dead", and John Perkins/"Confessions of an Economic Hitman". The Packer and Crace are re-reads, and the Perkins is a first time. I am enjoying the fiction quite a bit and having just read the first half of the first chapter of the Perkins, I like it - it's just really depressing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a smart, smart woman: I don't think I ever reached a 3.912 GPA.

If I had to take algebra now, I'd flunk!