Monday, April 02, 2007

Tideland

Although I've seen a country ton of movies in the past few weeks, I want to write about the one I saw last: Tideland.

Go rent this movie. It contains tons of themes that might disturb you, but nothing in it is horrible (okay, if you have problems with dead bodies, even fake ones, you might not like this film, but it's not a horror flick or anything).

I don't want to say anything about the story for fear of spoilers - the film centers around a few days in the life of a 9 year old girl (played by then 9 1/2 year old Jodelle Ferlund). The actress in the main role delivers a positively luminous performance. She does this by giving us a character in which we can believe even in the midst of insane circumstances - I think I described her to bf last night as just feeling so honest. It's simple yet amazing.

It's a Terry Gilliam film, so it's marvelous to look at. Although they are very different films it might be fun to watch this and Mirrormask as a double feature on a rainy Sunday afternoon. And then take a nap, and dream.

No comments: