Saturday, September 30, 2006

The pie

I haven't yet named this pie. I want to give it a name like ambrosia, because it seems fancy. Maybe a simple name is better. Brown Sugar Pie?

Anyhow, here it is.

5 T butter, softened
2 C dark brown sugar, packed
2 t vanilla extract
4 eggs (I used 5 medium)
1 C shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
1 C chopped pecans (coarse or fine, I chopped fine)
9-inch pie crust

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream butter until light, add brown sugar in four parts, scraping the bowl after the halfway point. Once the butter and sugar are well incorporated, add vanilla extract and eggs. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy (at least 2 minutes on high, I beat mine for 5+). Scrape bowl, then mix in coconut and chopped pecans. Pour into pie crust and bake for 45-60 minutes. Check after 45 minutes. Center of pie does not have to be completely set, but top should be puffed up evenly and golden brown. Let cool (at least to room temperature). Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if you like.




I baked mine on too high a heat (I was not paying enough attention to the oven. This meant I had a slightly burnt layer on top. I was able to carefully remove the burnt layer, so the pie is gloriously edible, but not very pretty.

Pictures and the taste test will be posted later...

No comments: